Major 2012-2013 Legal Settlements by Our Medical Malpractice Firm
Salt Lake City, Utah - The attorneys at Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Practice Group have always been committed to representing those who have been harmed by another person or party’s negligence. In 2012 and 2013, the medical malpractice legal team at Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC helped victims of medical malpractice receive more than $14 million in settlements.
By being such strong advocates for victims and their families, Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Practice Group is helping to ensure that such senseless actions do not go without consequence. By helping victims and their loved ones, the attorneys are also helping to promote reforms in the medical profession that prevent these avoidable medical mistakes.
Major Settlements for Clients and Their Loved Ones
Five of the major medical malpractice settlements from 2012 and 2013 involved amounts of $1 million or greater. The reason for these seven-figure settlements was the egregiousness of the injuries experienced by the clients.
- A settlement in excess of $3 million - The incorrect diagnosis of a brain tumor led to an unnecessary brain surgery being performed. This unneeded surgery resulted in the loss of higher-level brain functions in an engineer.
- A settlement in excess of $2.5 million - An emergency room patient complained of chest pains and was given a strong anticoagulant medication. The drug caused the patient to suffer a massive stroke that resulted in brain injury and permanent physical impairment.
- A settlement in excess of $2 million - A delayed diagnosis and treatment of a bowel obstruction led to the patients suffering a massive and preventable bowel perforation.
- A settlement in excess of $1 million - Inadequate and negligent monitoring of anesthesia during a knee replacement surgery led to the patient suffering from a global anoxic (lack of oxygen) brain injury.
- A settlement of $1 million - A patient was prescribed a medication but never received the necessary lab follow-up to address potential side effects and complications. The drug caused kidney failure and required the patient to undergo a kidney transplant.
A Key Wrongful Death Settlement Involving a Mother of Six
Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Practice Group also settled a tragic wrongful death case that involved the missed diagnosis of pneumonia. The medical error resulted in the death of a mother of six adopted children. Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s legal team helped the deceased mother's children and family receive a settlement of $700,000.
Holding Medical Professionals Accountable for Delayed Diagnosis and Misdiagnosis
These issues with delayed and improper diagnosis can be quite serious, as seen above. Additional misdiagnosis and delayed diagnosis settlements from 2012 and 2013 included:
- A settlement in excess of $850,000 - The delayed diagnosis and subsequent treatment of H1N1 (swine flu) led to anoxic brain injury and the eventual death of the patient.
- A settlement in excess of $600,000 - A delayed diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis resulted in the amputation of the patient's entire leg as well as one half of that patient's other foot.
Meaningful Legal Settlements Involving Young Victims of Medical Malpractice
When these medical mistakes affect young patients, the results are especially tragic simply given the long road ahead that these children face as they mature and have to deal with the repercussions of poor medical care. Cases from 2012 and 2013 involving young victims included:
- A settlement in excess of $700,000 - A critically ill infant was not transferred to a specialized hospital in a timely enough manner. This delay in transfer resulted in cerebral palsy and other lifelong health problems.
- A settlement in excess of $250,000 - IV fluids and antibiotic were improperly administered to a young girl. This negligence led to diminished strength and the lifelong loss of use of the girl's hand.
Compensation for Acts of Doctor and Surgeon Negligence
During 2012 and 2013, Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Group also helped clients and their loved ones with various other forms of negligence by doctors, surgeons, and medical staff. These included:
- A settlement in excess of $500,000 - The neglect of a patient suffering from a heart attack led to a partial cardiac death.
- A settlement in excess of $450,000 - A surgical error during a ventral hernia repair resulted in the patient suffering from a bowel perforation.
- A settlement in excess of $350,000 - A pain medication overdose in the emergency room resulted in respiratory arrest and the death of the patient.
- A settlement in excess of $300,000 - Improper treatment of large kidney stones led to severe damage to the patient's ureter, the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder.
Schedule a Case Review with Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Group
Victims of medical negligence and serious accidents are encouraged to schedule a legal consultation with Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC’s Medical Malpractice Law Group. The medical malpractice legal team can be reached by phone at:
Younker Hyde Macfarlane, PLLC
215 S State St - Ste 1200
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: (801) 384-4599
Originally posted by Norman J. Younker.