John Macfarlane has spent his entire career representing injured persons. His practice is focused on medical malpractice, personal injury, and wrongful death. In the area of medical malpractice, John has spent thousands of hours advocating for injured patients in pre-litigation hearings, depositions, court proceedings, and mediations. John and the attorneys at YHM are comfortable taking any case through litigation and, if necessary, trial. John has experience obtaining early resolution and obtaining seven figure verdicts in trial and arbitration.
John also leads the firm team for automobile accident injuries and has been successful in quickly obtaining settlements for his clients. His hard fought experience litigating medical malpractice cases gives him the experience and confidence to fight for a fair settlement in an auto injury case. While early resolution is preferred, John has the background and knowledge necessary for insurance companies to see that he will not settle for less simply because it may require litigation or trial to get more.
John graduated second in his class from the University of Utah College of Law, where he was a note and comment editor of the Utah Law Review, a member of the Order of the Coif, Litigation Society President, and winner of several academic achievements and awards. He earned his bachelor’s degree in psychology, with a minor is sociology and mandarin Chinese, from Utah State University, where he graduated magna cum laude. John is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of both Utah and Idaho.
- Admitted to Utah State Bar and United States District Court for the District of Utah, 2014
- Admitted to the Idaho State Bar and United States District Court for the District of Idaho, 2016
- Federal Judicial Intern, Judge Dale Kimball, Salt Lake City, Utah, January 2013-April 2103.
- Bankruptcy Court Intern, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Chief Judge William Thurman, August 2013-December 2013
- J.D. with highest honors (3.97 GPA), University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law, 2013; Member, Order of the Coif, 2013; Note and Comment Editor of the Utah Law Review, 2013; Staff Member, 2012-2013; Cali Excellence Award (Highest Grade) for Contracts, Legal Professions, Administrative Law, Evidence, and Real Estate Transactions; Awarded the Law Leadership Scholarship, 2013; Outstanding Achievement Award in Constitutional Law II, Judicial Process, and Bankruptcy
- B.S., magna cum laude, Psychology, Sociology and Chinese minor, Utah State University, 2010
They were extremely knowledgeable, extremely helpful experts. The team helped me with all aspects of my case, including medical and financial, and understood that it affected more than me but also my family.- Jill S.